Skip to main content
Sabrang

World

Sabrang

Over 100 Hazaras protesting Kabul suicide bombing detained by Delhi Police for 7 Hours

08 Oct 2022

Over 100 Hazaras protesting Kabul suicide bombing detained by Delhi Police for 7 Hours
Image: Twitter/ @REhsan2021

New Delhi: After being detained by police in Delhi for around seven hours on Thursday, October 6, around 100 members of central Afghanistan’s Hazara community who reportedly gathered at Jantar Mantar to protest the recent suicide bombing in the Afghan capital, Kabul, have been released. 

On the last day of September, September 30, a suicide attack at the Kaj Educational Institute in Daste Barchi, associated with the Hazara-dominated community in Kabul, had shocked the world. A number of students were present at the Institute to take an entrance exam that Friday. While initial reports had put the number killed at 19 and those injured at 27, subsequent reports by the BBC have put the death toll at a staggering 53.

On Thursday, October 6, around 100 Hazaras living in Delhi had resolved to hold a protest at Jantar Mantar to condemn the Kaj bombing as well as the targeting of the Shi’a majority Hazara community in Afghanistan. Initially the Delhi police reportedly granted permission for the gathering, this permission was allegedly revoked early Thursday morning.

As often, social media platforms told the story. A member of this protest gathering, scholar and activist Reza Ehsan, posted on Twitter claiming that after the crowd was told that the permission had been cancelled, and as the members made their way to their buses to leave, they were detained by the Delhi police without any explanation.

 

 

They had first detained around 300, have released women and children but others are still in detention.

 

 

Ehsan questioned the police’s decision, asking why the decision to cancel the permission wasn’t shared earlier and why the demonstrators were not allowed even to eat lunch.

“While, millions are joining #StopHazaraGenocide around the world, why would Delhi police try to silence the voice of those who share sympathy and remember the victims of #Kaaj Kabul attack?” Ehsan tweeted.

Within an hour of Ehsan’s initial tweets, rights group Amnesty International posted a series of tweets in which it detailed that the Delhi police had, indeed, arrested the demonstrators for gathering despite the denial of permission, which was denied citing “security/law and order arrangements” according to the rights group.

 

Amnesty International stated that the “failure to meet administrative requirements should not render an assembly unlawful” and held that it cannot be a basis to arrest people. Noting that the right to protest is a right and not a privilege, the rights group said that any restriction to this right should be necessary and proportionate.

Ehsan, who wrote on Twitter that he was posting from “Madanmarg” police station, ostensibly referring to the Mandir Marg station in the area, noted that while women and children were allowed to leave at around 3:30 pm, 45 others remained in custody until evening.

Then, in the evening, at 7:01 pm, Ehsan tweeted that he and the 45 other detainees were released from custody. He also stated that the demonstrators were allowed to continue their protests and chant slogans against the killing of Hazaras from within the station.

 

 

Thereafter, the Association for Hazara Voice for Justice (AHVJ) published a statement on Twitter describing the detention as a “small halt” but lauding the support and media coverage the demonstration received.

“We shared our message loudly and clearly with the Indian audience and the world about the ‘genocide of Hazaras’ in Afghanistan. Today(‘s) gathering and protest was up to satisfaction,” the AHVJ statement read.

 

 

The statement also proceeded to thank not just the Indian media but also the government and the Delhi police for allowing the programme to continue from within the police station.

Related

Afghanistan: Bomb attack kills at least 100 at Shia mosque in Kunduz

Will Taliban takeover of Afghanistan be used to attack Indian Muslims?

Over 100 Hazaras protesting Kabul suicide bombing detained by Delhi Police for 7 Hours

Over 100 Hazaras protesting Kabul suicide bombing detained by Delhi Police for 7 Hours
Image: Twitter/ @REhsan2021

New Delhi: After being detained by police in Delhi for around seven hours on Thursday, October 6, around 100 members of central Afghanistan’s Hazara community who reportedly gathered at Jantar Mantar to protest the recent suicide bombing in the Afghan capital, Kabul, have been released. 

On the last day of September, September 30, a suicide attack at the Kaj Educational Institute in Daste Barchi, associated with the Hazara-dominated community in Kabul, had shocked the world. A number of students were present at the Institute to take an entrance exam that Friday. While initial reports had put the number killed at 19 and those injured at 27, subsequent reports by the BBC have put the death toll at a staggering 53.

On Thursday, October 6, around 100 Hazaras living in Delhi had resolved to hold a protest at Jantar Mantar to condemn the Kaj bombing as well as the targeting of the Shi’a majority Hazara community in Afghanistan. Initially the Delhi police reportedly granted permission for the gathering, this permission was allegedly revoked early Thursday morning.

As often, social media platforms told the story. A member of this protest gathering, scholar and activist Reza Ehsan, posted on Twitter claiming that after the crowd was told that the permission had been cancelled, and as the members made their way to their buses to leave, they were detained by the Delhi police without any explanation.

 

 

They had first detained around 300, have released women and children but others are still in detention.

 

 

Ehsan questioned the police’s decision, asking why the decision to cancel the permission wasn’t shared earlier and why the demonstrators were not allowed even to eat lunch.

“While, millions are joining #StopHazaraGenocide around the world, why would Delhi police try to silence the voice of those who share sympathy and remember the victims of #Kaaj Kabul attack?” Ehsan tweeted.

Within an hour of Ehsan’s initial tweets, rights group Amnesty International posted a series of tweets in which it detailed that the Delhi police had, indeed, arrested the demonstrators for gathering despite the denial of permission, which was denied citing “security/law and order arrangements” according to the rights group.

 

Amnesty International stated that the “failure to meet administrative requirements should not render an assembly unlawful” and held that it cannot be a basis to arrest people. Noting that the right to protest is a right and not a privilege, the rights group said that any restriction to this right should be necessary and proportionate.

Ehsan, who wrote on Twitter that he was posting from “Madanmarg” police station, ostensibly referring to the Mandir Marg station in the area, noted that while women and children were allowed to leave at around 3:30 pm, 45 others remained in custody until evening.

Then, in the evening, at 7:01 pm, Ehsan tweeted that he and the 45 other detainees were released from custody. He also stated that the demonstrators were allowed to continue their protests and chant slogans against the killing of Hazaras from within the station.

 

 

Thereafter, the Association for Hazara Voice for Justice (AHVJ) published a statement on Twitter describing the detention as a “small halt” but lauding the support and media coverage the demonstration received.

“We shared our message loudly and clearly with the Indian audience and the world about the ‘genocide of Hazaras’ in Afghanistan. Today(‘s) gathering and protest was up to satisfaction,” the AHVJ statement read.

 

 

The statement also proceeded to thank not just the Indian media but also the government and the Delhi police for allowing the programme to continue from within the police station.

Related

Afghanistan: Bomb attack kills at least 100 at Shia mosque in Kunduz

Will Taliban takeover of Afghanistan be used to attack Indian Muslims?

Related Articles


Theme

Campaigns

Videos

Archives

IN FACT

Podcasts

Podcasts

Podcasts

Analysis

Archives

Podcasts

Sabrang

US advises American tourists to exercise caution due to cases of sexual assault and terrorism in India

US also advises against travel to Jammu and Kashmir, and places close to the India-Pakistan border

08 Oct 2022

USAImage courtesy: Reuters

The United States has issued a travel advisory for Americans tourists to India, urging them to “exercise increased caution in India due to crime and terrorism.” The advisory further says, “Indian authorities report rape is one of the fastest growing crimes in India. Violent crime, such as sexual assault, has occurred at tourist sites and in other locations.” The advisory issued on October 5 by the US State Department categorically says, “Do not travel alone, particularly if you are a woman.”

The fears about sexual assaults are not unfounded given how just this year, at least two cases of tourists being raped were reported from Rajasthan and Goa. In March this year, Times of India reported that a 31-year-old Dutch woman was raped by a masseur in Jaipur. In another shocking incident in June, NDTV reported that a British woman was raped in front of her partner by a masseur in Goa’s Arambol area.

According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)’s Crime in India 2021 report, as many as 150 instances of crimes against foreigners were recorded in 2021. These included 15 cases of sexual offenses committed against women tourists. Overall, out of the 4,28,278 cases of crimes against women, 7.4 percent of the cases or 31,692 were rape cases, while 20.8 percent of the cases or 89,081 were related to assault with intent to outrage modesty. Kidnapping and abduction accounted for 17.6 percent or 75,376 cases.

On the subject of terrorism, the US travel advisory says, “Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and government facilities.” It further advises tourists not to travel to the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir (except the eastern Ladakh region and its capital, Leh) “due to terrorism and civil unrest.” Citing a “potential for armed conflict”, it also advises against travelling to within 10 kilometers of the India-Pakistan border.

The advisory is significant in wake of a spate of terrorist attacks in Jammu and Kashmir, where suspected militants have been targeting Kashmiri Pandits, migrant workers and security personnel. SabrangIndia has reported previously about how on October 5, 2021, Makhan Lal Bindroo, a well-known Kashmiri Pandit businessman who ran two medical stores in Srinagar including one started by his family in 1947, was shot dead by suspected militants. Others killed include Rahul Bhat, who worked at the revenue department in Budgam as a PM Package employee, Rajni Bala and Supinder Kaur, both school teachers. Muslims have also fallen victims to the bullets of terrorists. Kashmir television artist Amreen Bhat was killed in front of her 10-year-old nephew who was also injured in the attack. A migrant worker from Bihar named Mohammed Amrez, was killed in Bandipore.

The advisory also says, “The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in rural areas from eastern Maharashtra and northern Telangana through western West Bengal as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to these areas.”

The complete travel advisory may be viewed here.

Also read:

Varanasi: Martial arts teacher allegedly rapes Dalit girl

Lakhimpur Kheri: Postmortem confirms Dalit sisters were raped before murder

US advises American tourists to exercise caution due to cases of sexual assault and terrorism in India

US also advises against travel to Jammu and Kashmir, and places close to the India-Pakistan border

USAImage courtesy: Reuters

The United States has issued a travel advisory for Americans tourists to India, urging them to “exercise increased caution in India due to crime and terrorism.” The advisory further says, “Indian authorities report rape is one of the fastest growing crimes in India. Violent crime, such as sexual assault, has occurred at tourist sites and in other locations.” The advisory issued on October 5 by the US State Department categorically says, “Do not travel alone, particularly if you are a woman.”

The fears about sexual assaults are not unfounded given how just this year, at least two cases of tourists being raped were reported from Rajasthan and Goa. In March this year, Times of India reported that a 31-year-old Dutch woman was raped by a masseur in Jaipur. In another shocking incident in June, NDTV reported that a British woman was raped in front of her partner by a masseur in Goa’s Arambol area.

According to the National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)’s Crime in India 2021 report, as many as 150 instances of crimes against foreigners were recorded in 2021. These included 15 cases of sexual offenses committed against women tourists. Overall, out of the 4,28,278 cases of crimes against women, 7.4 percent of the cases or 31,692 were rape cases, while 20.8 percent of the cases or 89,081 were related to assault with intent to outrage modesty. Kidnapping and abduction accounted for 17.6 percent or 75,376 cases.

On the subject of terrorism, the US travel advisory says, “Terrorists may attack with little or no warning, targeting tourist locations, transportation hubs, markets/shopping malls, and government facilities.” It further advises tourists not to travel to the union territory of Jammu and Kashmir (except the eastern Ladakh region and its capital, Leh) “due to terrorism and civil unrest.” Citing a “potential for armed conflict”, it also advises against travelling to within 10 kilometers of the India-Pakistan border.

The advisory is significant in wake of a spate of terrorist attacks in Jammu and Kashmir, where suspected militants have been targeting Kashmiri Pandits, migrant workers and security personnel. SabrangIndia has reported previously about how on October 5, 2021, Makhan Lal Bindroo, a well-known Kashmiri Pandit businessman who ran two medical stores in Srinagar including one started by his family in 1947, was shot dead by suspected militants. Others killed include Rahul Bhat, who worked at the revenue department in Budgam as a PM Package employee, Rajni Bala and Supinder Kaur, both school teachers. Muslims have also fallen victims to the bullets of terrorists. Kashmir television artist Amreen Bhat was killed in front of her 10-year-old nephew who was also injured in the attack. A migrant worker from Bihar named Mohammed Amrez, was killed in Bandipore.

The advisory also says, “The U.S. government has limited ability to provide emergency services to U.S. citizens in rural areas from eastern Maharashtra and northern Telangana through western West Bengal as U.S. government employees must obtain special authorization to travel to these areas.”

The complete travel advisory may be viewed here.

Also read:

Varanasi: Martial arts teacher allegedly rapes Dalit girl

Lakhimpur Kheri: Postmortem confirms Dalit sisters were raped before murder

Related Articles


Theme

Campaigns

Videos

Archives

IN FACT

Podcasts

Podcasts

Podcasts

Analysis

Archives

Podcasts

Sabrang

Dubai is now home to one more Hindu temple, first one was built in 1958

Residents can now worship in one more shrine located in Jebel Ali's worship village

06 Oct 2022

Dubai

Tuesday, October 4 saw excitement among the Hindu worshoppers in Dubai, as the newest Hindu temple in Dubai formally opened its doors to worshippers on Tuesday evening. And  Dussehra Day, October 5, large numbers of people are scheduled and registered to visit the temple for the celebration of the important Hindu festival.

“We will have a lot of rush today, so just Darshans (altar viewing) as of now, and big aarti (Hindu ritual) at 7.30pm,” said one of the organisers Shroff to the media as reported by Khaleej Times. Those who are planning to go to the temple are advised to pre-register via a QR code, but walk-in visitors are also permitted.

Situated in a neighbourhood of Dubai known as the 'worship village', the grand place of worship was inaugurated in a ceremony marked with a powerful message of tolerance, peace, and harmony day before yesterday. The 'worship village' in Jebel Ali now houses nine religious shrines, including seven churches and the Guru Nanak Darbar Sikh Gurudwara.

It was the Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan, Minister of Tolerance and Coexistence, inaugurated the temple by lighting a lantern in the temple's multi-purpose hall on the ground floor.

Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan and Sunjay Sudhir Indian Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates inaugurated the temple. Photo: Rahul Gajjar
Sheikh Nahyan bin Mubarak Al Nahyan and Sunjay Sudhir Indian Ambassador to the United Arab Emirates inaugurated the temple. Photo: Rahul Gajjar

Apart from officialdom that included Sunjay Sudhir, Indian Ambassador to the UAE; Dr Omar Al Muthanna, CEO of the social regulatory and licensing agency for the Community Development Authority (CDA); and Raju Shroff, trustee of the Hindu Temple Dubai were part of the festivities. Ahmed Abdul Karim Julfar, director-general of the Community Development Authority, was also present at the event.

On October 4, over 200 dignitaries, including the heads of diplomatic missions, religious leaders of several faiths, business owners and Indian community members were also present at the glittering opening ceremony. Indian ambassador Sunjay Sudhir reportedly said said: "It is welcome news for the Indian community that a new Hindu temple is being inaugurated in Dubai today. The temple's opening serves the religious aspirations of the large Hindu community living in the UAE. The new temple is adjoining a Gurudwara, which was opened years back, in 2012.

Photos: Rahul Gujjar
Photos: Rahul Gujjar

"We are honoured that Sheikh Nahayan inaugurated the new Hindu temple in Dubai. We thank the graciousness and generosity of the Dubai Government for providing land for the temple and facilitating its construction. We also thank the UAE government for providing a second home to 3.5 million Indians where they live and work and contribute to the economy and society."

Photos: Rahul Gujjar
Photos: Rahul Gujjar

The actual plans to construct the 70,000-square-foot house of worship were announced in 2020, shortly after the Covid-19 pandemic struck the city. Speaking to Khaleej Times on the sidelines of the opening ceremony, Shroff said: "The temple opening in Dubai is a dream come true not just for Hindus, but for Indians all over the UAE. The temple is a true representation of how we perceive religion – bringing cultures together.

"Despite Covid -19, the timeline for completion of the construction was not hampered because of the support of the Dubai government. The Hindu Temple Dubai is truly a remarkable icon of how receptive and compassionate Dubai and the Government of the UAE are. Whether it was in 1958 to launch the first 'mandir' in the country to the Hindu Temple now, the Emirati generosity remains." Ironically, despite stereotypes about the Middle-East the first temple was constructed way back in 1958!

Photo: Agencies
Photo: Agencies